The global organization, in-charge of trade related polices called the World trade organization established the annual WTO Essay Award for Young Economists in 2009. The award, which carries a prize of CHF 5,000, aims to promote high-quality economic research on the WTO and WTO-related issues and to reinforce the relationship between the WTO and the academic community.
The WTO has issued a call for young economists to submit papers for the 2022 WTO Essay Award. The aim of the award is to promote high-quality research on trade policy and international trade cooperation and to reinforce the relationship between the WTO and the academic community.
Criteria for the World Trade Organization Essay Award for Young Economists.
- The essay must address issues related to trade policy and international trade cooperation.
- The applicant must possess or be engaged in the completion of a PhD degree and, if over 30 years of age, be no more than two years past a PhD defense.
- In the case of co-authored papers, this requirement shall apply to all authors. In addition, to be considered for the award, essays cannot exceed 15,000 words.
- The annual WTO Essay Award provides a prize of CHF 5,000 to the author(s) of the winning essay.
- In the case of a co-authored paper, the prize will be equally divided among the authors.
- The winning paper will be officially announced at the annual meeting of the European Trade Study Group (ETSG), the largest conference specializing in international trade.
- The award ceremony will take place on 8-10 September 2022 at the University of Groningen in The Netherlands.
- The winning author will receive funding to attend the meeting.
An Academic Selection Panel is responsible for the selection of the winning paper. The panel comprises:
- Professor Beata Javorcik (University of Oxford)
- Professor Robert Staiger (Dartmouth College)
- Professor Alberto Trejos (INCAE Business School).
Essays must be submitted by 6 June 2022. The Economic Research and Statistics Division of the WTO Secretariat will shortlist eligible papers by 17 June 2022 and the selection panel will take a final decision by 15 July 2022. Only the author(s) of short-listed essays will be notified.
The winning essay may be published in the WTO Working Paper Series. It is the responsibility of the author(s) to endeavour to secure publication of the contribution in a journal.
All submissions should be sent to email@example.com. Submissions should include as separate attachments in PDF format:
1. the essay
2. the CV of the author(s), specifying (i) current affiliation(s), (ii) the academic institution awarding the PhD, (iii) the year (or the expected year) of the PhD, (iv) the date of birth of the author(s).
Application Deadline: 6 June 2022.
For More Information: